w/c 16 Jan 2012 – Discovery News Round-up

This is the first of my regular round-up of what’s happening in the world of resource discovery. Twice a month I’ll be sharing what I’ve found during my internet travels and also highlighting things that have caught my eye under the #UKDiscovery Twitter hashtag. You can also see the latest tweets from that hashtag compiled into an eye-pleasing PDF format (created via the FiveFilters PDF newspaper maker).

Firstly, I want to share the output of the JISC Activity Data Synthesis project which I was involved with last year. The project website was published in November 2011, which already seems like a lifetime ago, but hopefully the collective wisdom gathered together there will be useful for some time to come.

JISC Activity Data website screenshot

The JISC Activity Data programme was a collection of nine projects which, although not directly part of the Discovery initiative, covered some relevant terrain – particularly around issues of licensing, metadata and open data. Other strong themes that emerged during the course of the programme were ‘big data’ (particularly so for the Exposing VLE Activity Data project), data storage and data visualisation. If you’re interested in getting to grips with data visualisation then the online talk that Tony Hirst kindly did for us as part of our virtual exchange sessions is well worth a watch. Five of the projects were focused on library activity data so they are worth exploring if that’s the domain you’re involved with: AEIOU, LIDP, RISE, SALT and OpenURL.

Now onto the highlights of things I’ve come across over the past few weeks: